Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Trusses and sheeting

The last few days have been very exciting. After the posts and rim joists were done, 23 2x10 deck joists went in.


Due to a few of the footings being a little off the intended measurements, two of the treated 6x6 posts had to be notched at the base connector. I didn't really like the look of it, and was concerned about having to treat the notched part. Most likely it was not really an issue and the posts would last 100 years, but I tend to get a little crazy with the most minor details. I knew I'd better ask Chris to rework the posts, otherwise I'd lose sleep over these stupid notches. It was a borderline unreasonable request, but he fixed them up how I wanted, with no complaint. It was the first real test of the builder-client relationship, and I am very happy with the outcome.

Trusses arrived on a truck, with an 85-foot crane, which hoisted the 7 trusses over the house and onto the roof beams of the deck frame.




It only took about 6 hours to set the trusses and get the plywood sheeting on the roof. This thing is really starting to take shape now. It looks about how I envisioned it. It is big and may take some getting used to. Of course, it will look much better once the roofing and finish work is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment